A Compass Without a True North


Anger gripped every bone in my body. I didn’t even hesitate. I found my way into the car and just began to drive. The dark of an 11pm night just added to my frustration. To be honest, I don’t even remember what started the fight. I just needed to withdraw myself from the tense atmosphere that shrouded myself and my father. Having this type of blowout with my dad at the age of 16 might not be that unusual. But getting lost in the “middle of nowhere” after an hour of just driving west was more than unusual. In fact, it became a bit scary as I was forced to admit that I was lost. My emotions controlled my actions. My mind was superseded by a heart filled with conviction that I was right and that anyone who disagreed with me was messed up. Had it not been for a beacon in the form of a light in the sky declaring the location of the only car dealer in town, I would have really found myself in trouble, knowing that I would have had to call my dad and let him know I was lost as well. I knew that the car dealer was near a freeway and that I could find my way home from there. I knew that the car dealer was north of my location. Having that one bearing would help me navigate back home. Our wonderful Earth also possesses a North Pole or true North.
Our planet has three North Poles (four if you count Santa). First, there's true north, which is the northern end of the axis on which our planet turns. But our planet's protective magnetic bubble, or magnetosphere, isn't perfectly aligned with this spin. Instead, the dynamo of Earth's core creates a magnetic field that is slightly tilted from the planet's rotational axis. The northern end of this planet-size bar magnet is what's known as geomagnetic north—a point sitting off the northwest coast of Greenland that's changed position little over the last century. Then there's magnetic north, what your compass locates, which is defined as the point at which magnetic field lines point vertically down. Unlike geomagnetic north, this position is more susceptible to the surges and flows in the swirl of liquid iron in the core. These currents tug on the magnetic field, sending magnetic north hopping across the globe (National Geographic, 2019). NASA has recently published in 2019 yet another article on the continuous shift of the Earth’s magnetic north (Nasa, 2019). Regardless of the possible political consequences of the impending “doom” of even a complete shift in poles, just as our physical world continues to move, so do our societal behavioral norms. 
Today our society in many ways has lost its sense of true north. I would raise the question of whether or not we have moved away from our “Moral Compass” or our True North when it comes to right and wrong. We live in a world that no longer desires universal truths for the fear of offending another with a personal standard. While I personally do my best every day to NEVER judge another person’s values, choices, and other life decisions, I must admit that it does bother me a bit when others are not so courteous to return that favor. I continue to witness so many persons who are first to condemn another for feeling judged are also the first to quickly judge others without getting to know, listen, or understand the other person. This behavior is developing at such a rate that rational responses are slowly disappearing in our society’s thought process. I see a changing society eager to gravitate towards a “magnetic north” when it comes to moral character. Popular opinion not only imitates true north but continually changes based on the emotional turbulence of the moment. Another growing concern of mine is that this new rule of character applies not only to the individual but becomes a group/herd mentality that finds it easy to overreact and set rationale aside for the sake of feeling that they are right. And of course, they are right, at least for that day. Tomorrow, we don’t know which way the wind will blow.
Steven Porter recently wrote a summary article from Dallas Willard’s posthumous publication, The Disappearance of Moral Knowledge. In his article he wrote that Morality has been left to be thought as mere “tradition,” feeling, opinion, or “faith.” This view of morality is not action-guiding and it fails to provide an authoritative basis upon which morality can be commended to others. The result is that Western society was set morally-adrift (Willard, 2018).
I personally believe that as long as we continue to ignore a “true north” and become comfortable with a “magnetic north” guiding what’s left of our “sense of morality,” we as a people will continue to suffer from identity confusion (a loss of direction) and perhaps even embrace all reality as relative. In some psychological circles, this can mimic the very definition of psychosis, a break from reality and living in nothing but a fantasyland. No wonder so much doesn’t make much sense anymore. We must redefine ourselves as individuals who listen instead of judge, are slow to speak, and slow to anger. We are in great need of taking a powerful life pause and truly seek and honest self-reflection and begin to embrace our current Identity. Only then can we live in reality and pursue real forward Direction in our lives. We need a Compass with a True North.

No comments:

Post a Comment